Monday, April 15, 2013

A middle of the pack runner's take on the events at the Boston Marathon

For those not familiar with the marathon world here are some insights on today's events from the perspective of a middle of the pack runner.  Running is my world.  I love it, I cherish it, it is my escape from other parts of my world.  I've run several marathons.  I'm well entrenched in training right now for the Seattle Rock and Roll Marathon.  I was well aware that today was Boston Marathon Day.  As I was driving around doing my errands this morning, I was thinking about how when I got home I should check to see who had won the Boston Marathon and also check out the New York  Marathon website to see if registration for next fall’s race was open yet (I've been trying to get in for 3 years).   Sadly, the news I was confronted with, I could have never imagined in my wildest dreams.  The first thing I did when I heard was to message my brother who is training to run the Seattle Rock and Roll with me.  This could have been me or my brother.  When the explosion occurred runners like me, 4 hour marathon finishers, were crossing the finish line.  At this stage of the race these are average normal folks who probably didn’t get in to the race by time qualification or if they did they are in an old enough age group such as age 70+ where the time qualifications are lower.  Case in point, the already iconic photo of the fallen runner being proctected by Boston Police at the finish line is a 78 year old runner from Lake Stevens, WA just up the road from me.  Even if you are fast enough to qualify for the race, you aren’t guaranteed a spot as the race fills within minutes of registration opening.  If you don't time qualify, you can get in through other programs but they are usually tied to a charity and you are usually raising a substantial amount of money to get in. The Boston Marathon is a goal on many a runner’s bucket list (including mine) and it is not an easy road to get there. 

Many many months if not years of running, planning, sacrifice and finances go into the preparation.  Countless personal goals are realized at the finish of any marathon.  As you cross the finish line of a marathon your extreme exhaustion is overcome by your extreme elation of finishing.  You can see this on the footage of the blast where runners are pumping their fists in the air, unaware of what has just happened.  This is a once in a lifetime event for many and people often have loved ones eagerly waiting at the finish line.  In recent years, the numbers of women in running has risen dramatically so now more than ever groups of kids, parents and grandparents are a familiar and frequent sight on the sidelines and especially at the finish line.  That is why my heart broke all the more hearing that one of those lost of was an 8 year old. This could have been my 7 or 9 year old.  Multiply this finish line picture, the culmination of all this hard work by hundreds or thousands of individuals and this is what you had today at that finish line when the bombs went off . . . so many people there to celebrate remarkable accomplishments . . . so many there with expectations of impending joy.  My beautiful running world that was all about goals, health and fitness, dedication and determination and all things positive feels violated . . . makes me feel like going out on a run.

No comments:

Post a Comment